Monday, February 13, 2006

Biography for Terrian Dy'ner

Just to give you all a quick idea of what each of my characters is like, I'm going to post each of their bios here. These, by the way, are written in first person instead of my normal third person limited.


Terrian Dy'ner

I remember the day I died.

It was a beautiful day. The sun was high in a clear blue sky, casting its warm light across the city of Tar Valon and making the white walls of the White Tower sparkle like a great gemstone in the distance. A great ivory spire, breathtaking in its beauty, that was beautifully silhouetted in the distance against the sapphire of a spring sky. It disgusted me. As much as the beauty of the sight took my breath away and left me awed in much the same way the splendor of the Fortress of the Light did, the White Tower left me sickened for what it represented. I remember that feeling so clearly; as clearly as I remember the day. It was the day before Winternight, and the air was crisp yet held the promise of warmer days to come. I approached Tar Valon, knowing that I was walking willingly into the hands of the Dark. My feet had carried me to the city though, and I knew in my heart there was no other place for me to go. Not if I wanted to live; and if I wanted to live I had to die.

My journey had started many months prior to that day, in the deep cold of a particularly bitter winter. I had discovered, through the limited knowledge held by my mother, that the sickness I had endured for the past week had been because the spark had finally manifested itself within me. I had been absentmindedly thinking of how cold it was when a small flame flickered into existence in front of me. It shocked me because I had no idea that I had actually created it with my want for warmth. If I had known then what I know now about ignoring the cold I might have been spared the pain I was about to endure for a few weeks more. Two of the Children of the Light had seen what I had done. They knew me, as most did because my father commanded many of those in the city, and they followed after me as I ran. I hardly knew what had happened, but I knew that it wouldn't be good for me.

I ran through the streets of the city I had been raised in, not knowing what had possessed me to begin running and not knowing that it had been I that channeled the small flame. Survival instinct had me run from the two Children, so I ran. I ran until I ran straight into a dead end. I turned to go back the way I came, but the two who had chased me stood in the alleyway's entrance. Wincing, I resigned myself to my fate only to have the two men move off in confusion. Somehow, they hadn't seen me despite the fact that I had stood right before them. Looking back, I know that it was Concealment at work. Then, I had only been able to hurry home in confusion. Not two days later I fell terribly ill. I did not know then, and I still do not know now, how my mother came to her next conclusion but she did. My mother determined that I could channel. I hadn't told her about the flame or the two soldiers not being able to see me.

My mother, Adia, loved me too much to turn me in to the Children of the Light. Instead, she wrote to the White Tower to ask for assistance and for an Aes Sedai to come get me. Discreetly of course. Then she informed me of what she knew. I was disgusted and disbelieving, that I could channel seemed absurd, but just over a week later one of the Tar Valon witches arrived. She wasn't able to help me though. My father discovered her and killed her first, and then he disowned me and set a party of the men under his command to take me into captivity. I did the only thing I could think to do. I ran. I ran as fast as my feet could take me. I didn't even consider where I was running to. That was how I end up on the doorstep of the greatest evil I had even known.

I stepped into the midst of the enemy and met the woman who would change my life in more ways than I would ever know. Menaihya of the Nine Valleys Taardad. She would one day become close to me as family, my near-sister. She brought me for the first time to the Mistress of Novices, to where my name was put into the book. Somewhere in the novice book, fifteen years of novices back, my name is still written even though now a green fringed shawl can be found around my shoulders. Those novice years are all to clear in my mind, especially that first day. Terrian Dy'ner of Amador, Amadicia died a slow and painful death that day. It would continue for weeks later until Terrian Dy'ner, Novice of the White Tower was born.

I died that day, and my rebirth began.

I spent five years in novice whites after accepting the fact that I could indeed channel and that I would someday rise through the ranks and hopefully attain the shawl. After five years, my first trial came. I was taken to the Arches to face my fears. I saw my mother die in the first because I did nothing. I saw a friend die in the second because I did too much. I killed my best friend, Menaihya herself, in the third because I decided Acceptance was more important. I betrayed and was betrayed. My worst fear was and still is to trust and have that trust turned against me. I know that it is a foolish thing to fear now, that there are worse things, but then I had been betrayed one too many times when I fled Amadicia anyway.

I coasted through nearly the next ten years without incident. My near-sister and I spent most of those years together as Accepted, but then she was raised to the shawl. I will never forget the terrible week that followed. For the first time in nearly fifteen years, we fought. I was jealous of her, quite frankly, of what she had. I was happy for her as well, but jealous. I felt betrayed because I still wore the banded hems of an Accepted. I was a fool and exploded at her. Then, I was enough of a fool to remain mad at her for a week before asking her forgiveness. I'm only happy that I was granted it. I would have hated to lose Menaihya to something so insignificant as a strip of cloth.

I learned of my mother's death soon after. I learned that I could allow myself to love, or at least look for love, even though I would be Aes Sedai. I learned that more important than anything was friendship and just simply believing in myself and the world. I changed so much in such a short time that when Madeline Sedai came for me the second time I wasn't quite ready. But then, is anyone ever ready for that final test? I faced the hundred weaves, I came out alive. I chose the Green Ajah and I lived again. I have lived again since the shawl touched my shoulders and gave me a purpose to my life. I fight the Dark One and his forces. Most importantly though, I live.

I do not know where my life will take me now. I only know that for nineteen years, I lived. For fifteen years after that, I was dead. Now I live again. What more is there to do for a woman who has been dead but live life to its fullest? I can't think of a single better thing.

No comments: